To join the next membership cycle, please apply by 27 August 2021!
Please note: this page is best viewed on desktop not mobile
The Otway Harvest Trail consists of a variety of Otway hinterland businesses that share a passion for local produce and locally grown and made products. Each Otway Harvest Trail member business aims to provide opportunities for visitors to the region to get a taste of what’s on offer and available in the Otway region. The trail also includes accommodation.
Joining the Otway Harvest Trail will give your business the chance to help grow the tourism experience across the Otway hinterland while collaborating with successful operators in a wide variety of joint opportunities that will enhance your business. For the visitor, engaging with the Otway Harvest Trail provides something to do, something to enjoy and something for them to take home.
Who are we?
WHO / Niche-gourmet products and experiences, located along a beautiful, sustainable hinterland trail, just above the Great Ocean Road of Victoria.
WHY / The trail is curated by local makers and creators only. To be a part of the Otway Harvest Trail, means something truly special for both producers and trail seekers, alike.
WHAT / Existing niche production includes olives, olive oil, honey, wool, beer, wine, beef, pork, small scale butchering, bread, garlic, berries, goat’s cheese, mushrooms, pasta, ostrich, chocolate, organic vegetables and associated outlets and accommodation aligned with the trail vision and mission.
WHERE / Approximately, two hours West of Melbourne by car, towards Geelong and the Great Ocean Road.
Geographical Boundaries of the Otway Harvest Trail
The boundaries are as follows:
- Any business located on or south of the Great Ocean Road is excluded.
- Any business located in a township on the Great Ocean Road (eg Bellbrae, Lorne, Apollo Bay, Port Campbell etc) is excluded.
- Commencing at Hendy Main Rd, Freshwater Creek, proceeding north to Mount Moriac.
- From Mount Moriac following the Princes Highway in a westerly direction through Colac to Camperdown.
- From Camperdown, continuing West to Cross Forest Rd.
- Following Cross Forest Rd south to Cobden.
- From Cobden to Timboon in a straight line.
- From Timboon to Port Campbell in a straight line but excluding the Port Campbell township itself.
Membership Types and Criteria
Our membership types are divided into Heroes and Champions. These category names are for membership category use only and won’t appear on external marketing. Our external marketing will still advertise your business under our categories EAT, DRINK, STAY, EXPLORE.
Heroes refers to the producers on the trail. These businesses produce, prepare and/or process their product exclusively within the geographical boundaries of the OHT. Businesses in this category will receive a larger proportion of the focus when it comes to marketing and promotion.
Champions are those businesses which “champion” the producers by using their products in their restaurants/cafes, selling OHT products in their shops or outlets, or providing boutique hosted accommodation which promotes the OHT. Champions play an important role in increasing awareness of the OHT with the general public.
Heroes A – $500 per year
Operates year round and/or has 3 or more FTE employees
Heroes B – $300 per year
Operates up to 12 weeks of the year, or has no outlet, or less than 3 FTE employees
Champions A – $350 per year
Has 3 or more FTE employees. Restaurants/cafes/providors/general stores need to demonstrate their support of at least 3 other OHT members by selling their produce or using it in their own product/food.
Champions B – $250 per year
Has less than 3 FTE employees. Restaurants/cafes/providors/general stores need to demonstrate their support of at least 3 other OHT members by selling their produce or using it in their own product/food.
Accommodation needs to meet the following criteria:
- Locally owned and managed boutique accommodation
- Host lives onsite for personal interaction and assistance
- Actively promotes other Otway Harvest Trail members
- Member of relevant tourism association
- All memberships include website listing and brochure entry, and use of the OHT Social Media Playbook.
- $50 refund/discount available on any membership for a committee member and/or attendance at 5 meetings per year.
If you would like to become part of the Otway Harvest Trail, click Apply for Membership and select Prospective Member. All new applications must apply as prospective members so we can determine whether your business is eligible. This stage is free.
Prospective members will need to let us know how their business meets the membership criteria in their application. Please make sure you check all the information you are providing is accurate and correct.
Once we have reviewed your information, and if you are eligible, we will contact you to let you know you can proceed to purchase a full membership.
As of 2021, we are moving to online membership software. This means that this year you will need to go through a different process than previous years. Please click Apply for Membership below and choose Prospective Member – even if you know which category you will end up in eventually. This is because there are some information fields on the prospective member form which we will need for our records that are not in main membership categories. So for the first year, please complete the Prospective Member process. After that, we will review the info and let you know you can proceed with purchasing your new paid membership. It will simply renew from that point on.
Please provide all your current contact details and business information. While we realise you may have given us this information previously, this is a new system and we want to start off with fresh, accurate data. This will be used to update the website and be included in any hard copy marketing like a brochure so please make sure you are happy with the information you are submitting, eg check for typos.
You can log back in and update your registered details any time details change so they are up to date for the next brochure/hard copy marketing. We will notify you of any cut off dates for any hard copy marketing by which you need to have finalised any changes to your member information. However if you need your website listing updated later you will need to let us know when you’ve updated the information in your member profile as website changes need to be made manually on request.
If you have more than one entity that you want to have as part of the trail, please select the most appropriate category for your largest/main business and then complete the questions relating to an Additional Listing to purchase a listing for a second entity of an equal or lower category.
- All new applications will remain as pending until approved by admin.
- We will let you know if you are approved, and if so, you can proceed to purchase a paid membership online.
- All memberships are rebilled automatically each year unless you cancel your membership before the next renewal date.
- Memberships can be paid for online via credit card. This is our strong preference as we are an organisation run by volunteers and this saves us a lot of time. If you cannot pay by credit card, the final question asks how you want to pay. If you choose by Bank Transfer, we will manually create an invoice for you to pay before your membership becomes active.
Before you start your application, please make sure you have all the relevant contact details for your business (and additional listing) ready, such as:
- your contact details for communication with OHT
- public contact details for your business that you are happy to have used on a brochure or website (they may be the same as above or different)
- social media links and website address
- 25 word blurb describing your business/product for a brochure/map listing
- Longer description describing your business/product for the website
- All relevant info for any additional listing you may be purchasing.
(For step by step instructions on how to complete the application, click here.)
Managing your Membership
To edit any information in your profile at any stage, update credit card details or cancel your membership:
- Log into your account.
- Scroll down and click Edit Membership.
- To edit, simply update anything you need to and scroll down to the bottom and click Update.
- To update your credit card details, click Edit Credit Card Details from your profile page when you log in.
- To cancel your membership, scroll down and click Cancel Membership.
- Choose your Cancellation Option and click Cancel Membership. If you choose the first option, you will continue to receive updates and communications and be part of the trail until your membership expires. If you choose the second option, the cancellation is effective immediately and you will no longer receive any member emails other than the cancellation ones.